Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Garlic and shallot harvest

 I finally got around to harvesting my shallots and garlic today.  The garlic is in our little shed, where it needs to "cure" for 1-2 months.  I planted 4 kinds but forgot to note which is which, so now they're all mixed up.  They all look the same, anyway.  I'm going to cut the bulblets and try planting them in the fall, although supposedly that only works for ophio garlic (whatever that is).  Can't hurt.


The shallots are still in the field, per my instructions, where they'll stay for several days and then to into the room next to the greenhouse, because they need to cure, also.  I've attempted to cover the bulbs somewhat with the tops to protect them from sunburn.  I'll take care of that when I get back from Seattle next Monday.
Shallots drying in the field

Sunny in the leeks

Kim, tutorial on doing garlic braids, please!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Your garden looks so organized. I'm impressed. Garlics are so gratifying. Plant in the fall and harvest in the spring. What could be more fun! Now the braiding is an interesting project. The directions end up with the garlic bulbs on one side and the braid on the back. I have yet to figure out how those braids are made where the bulbs hang on all sides and the braid is hidden. There's something that's not being revealed. But I'm persisting.