Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Leeky Garden

Undaunted by my overwhelming failure this summer, I have planted a bed of leeks that should be ready to harvest in the spring, if I understand correctly.  (Unlikely)  Happily, the day after I planted we had the first good rain in a long time.

I have also received my garlic and shallots and will be planting them soon as well.  November seems to be the right time for Georgia.  Which gives me time to get lots of good compost in the ground and then have it analyzed.  That's the plan, anyway.

I may be a lousy farmer (ok, I am a lousy farmer), but I make great compost.  Any future in that?

1 comment:

Kim said...

We also put in the garlic cloves this time of year for a harvest in June. I still have some more to plant. I find them to be easy to grow, they don't seem to need much tending and voila! they are a huge success in the kitchen.

Your chicken story is definitely cautionary. We have a friend with 3 chickens and her chickens are only out when they, the humans, are in the yard. And that is in urban Pasadena, not many hawks but we do have roaming raccoons, skunks, and coyote.