Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Recipes and gardens

Here's an hypothesis: If you grow your own food; you don't need recipes. Recently Mark cooked a dinner of new Russet potatoes (emphasis on the 'new'), dried Poblano peppers and white sage. It was great; all from our garden. The Russets were incredibly tasty and a real delight in texture. It occurred to me that who would have ever thought of this combination. And if we wrote it up as a recipe, there would be no way to purchase the items, or, if possible, it'd be very expensive. So, we cook what we grow and make it up as we go along. I think that's the key to home gardens and food. Creativity and experimentation and getting along with what you have is the key. It's doable and it can lead to totally new appreciation for what's possible.

1 comment:

Kim said...

After posting this entry I did a Google search on the ingredients: russet potatoes, poblano peppers, white sage and my blog entry was the third hit! Haha... The second hit was a recipe with red potatoes: Potato and Poblano Chile Gratin from bon apetite in 2003. The first hit was a page with a long list of different recipes that listed my ingredients somewhere. I think i proved my point!